Cultural Studies?
I knew a young man who studied cultural history at McGill University in Montreal. Mostly what he studied was the history of the European settlers and adventurers and how they convinced the natives in the new world that what they really wanted were European farms and houses. They should give up being Indians and Aborigines and start using all the beneficial products now available to them – steel and churches, gunpowder and alcohol. With time the native languages fell into disuse and communities disintegrated. Much of it is a sorry history. The young man was a good student of that history - a bright lad. I went out for supper with him and with his parents to celebrate his graduation. "So what now", I asked. "With a degree in cultural studies under your belt what will you do for a living? How will you earn your crust?" He thought for a moment: "There’s really only one area where I have any expertise at all", he said - "Marketing".